Andrew Muirhead complete expansion19 March 2010
Andrew Muirhead, manufacturers of upholstery leather and part of the Scottish Leather Group, have completed work on their recently acquired additional premises, adjacent to its existing factory in the east end of Glasgow. The new 10,000 sq ft premises will be accessed through a service yard at the rear of the original factory.
Founded over 160 years ago the company has occupied the site since 1870 and employs 100 people in the manufacture of technical leathers which are exported all over the world for a wide variety of applications including aviation, marine, rail and building interiors.
The expansion will provide the company with much needed additional warehouse space as well as ‘off road’ loading bays and additional parking which will create a safer environment for employees and pedestrians in the vicinity.
The company, which holds an accredited ISO14001 environmental management system, is further reducing its carbon footprint and overall environmental impact by reducing ‘hide miles’ for its hides.
Distribution of hides manufactured for wholesaling is currently undertaken from premises in Burnley (North West England) to which the hides are transported by road on pallets.
Warehouse operations in Burnley have now transferred to Glasgow with the creation of five new jobs. Dave Clamp, who set up the original Burnley distribution centre, is working at the new Glasgow operation to ensure a smooth transfer.
Colin Wade, managing director, Andrew Muirhead commented: ‘By making this investment now we are able to secure our future in the manufacturing and warehousing facility in the east end of Glasgow where we have operated for over 135 years.’
‘The new warehouse will allow us to eliminate palletising which in turn reduces potential creasing and hide damage and will reduce the need for double transportation by road. Our hides are hand rolled and the new system ensures more attention to detail when sending to our customers.’